Some of the biggest names in sports have put their trust in the healing hands of Dr. Ralph Venuto. Dr. Venuto is a leading specialist in the treatment of knee and shoulder disorders including arthroscopy and ligament reconstruction. Getting an injured athlete back on the path to victory is what Dr. Venuto has been doing in Newport Beach his entire orthopedic career.
Being a sports medicine physician means something to Dr. Venuto. He explains his specialty by simply saying, “If you go to an orthopedic surgeon with an injury, he may say you can’t do that sport anymore. If you go to a specialist in sports medicine with the same injury, he’ll say let’s see if we can get you back to your sport. That’s what I do and I’ve enjoyed doing it for a long time”.
As a recognized expert in sports medicine, he has treated some of the top professional, olympic and college level athletes from around the country. Among them is Laker NBA superstar Karl Malone. Dr. Venuto was the Chief Medical Officer for the wrestling teams at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles and has served as a team physician at the high school, college and professional levels. He is committed to community involvement, supports local charities and lectures to organizations in the U.S. and abroad about the prevention and care of orthopaedic injuries and advanced techniques in orthopaedic surgery.
A Trusted Sports Medicine Specialist
Dr. Venuto has always been a sports enthusiast. Having participated in sports himself, he is able to relate strongly to how an athlete feels when injury occurs. “When I see a young man or a young woman who’s an athlete that’s been injured, I know what that means. I feel what that means and I want to get them back to their sport”, explains Dr. Venuto. The same is true for non athletes or “weekend warriors” who sustain injury or live with painful, limiting knee or shoulder conditions–like arthritis–that stop them from doing what they love.
It’s evident to Dr. Venuto that more people want to stay active into their fifties, sixties and longer. Whether their passion is to win an Olympic medal, meet friends for golf, run a marathon or simply chase their grandchildren in the park; Dr. Venuto is dedicated to every patient he sees–athletes and non-athletes alike–helping them get back on the court to victory or simply to a better quality of life. “To enable my patients to do this…there’s nothing I do that’s more gratifying”, says Dr. Venuto.
Learn more about the many surgical procedures and non surgical alternative treatment options Dr. Venuto performs for conditions of the knee and shoulder including ACL reconstruction, microfracture surgery, arthroscopic surgery, rotator cuff repair, labral repair, repair of recurrent dislocation, arthroscopy, viscosupplementation for arthritis, carticel cell transplant surgery, and Regenerative medicine including stem cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma.
Training & Education
Jefferson University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA.
Post Medical School Training
• General Surgery Internship and Residency: University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)
• Orthopaedic Residency: Columbia University, New York, NY
The American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
• Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
• Fellow, American College of Surgeons
• Certified by the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
• Certified by the American College of Sports Medicine
• Certified by the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.
• Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
• Member, North American and International Arthroscopy Associations
• Member, California Medical Association and the Orange County Medical Association
• Attending Staff: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, CA. since 1978
• Clinical Instructor of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Irvine, CA. 1976 – 1986
• Numerous papers written on knee and shoulder conditions, diagnosis and treatment
• Founding member of the Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgeons Society
• Team Physician, Cal Poly Pomona 1980 – 1995
• Track Physician, Riverside Raceway 1972 – 1976
• Opened private practice in Orange County (Newport Beach, CA) – 1974
Get the help you need now.
Call Dr. Venuto at 949-759-3600 or SEND US AN EMAIL to schedule your appointment.
DR. RALPH VENUTO
Board-certified orthopedic and sports medicine expert specializing in the treatment of knee and shoulder disorders.
2004: First surgeon in California to perform a partial knee replacement on an outpatient basis–eliminating the need for costly inpatient hospital care, reducing recovery time and decreasing post-surgical discomfort.
One of the first surgeons in the country to perform arthroscopic surgery, without adding trauma or scarring.
First surgeon in California to perform the Carticel Transplant surgery using a patient’s healthy cells to repair cartilage defects in the knee.
Has performed more than 15,000 arthroscopies, allowing his patients to experience quicker recovery of motions, faster healing and less pain Has been named one of the “Best Doctors in Orange County” in Orange Coast Magazine’s “The Doctor’s Doctor”