There is simply no need for you to live with the daily pain of arthritis, even if more traditional therapies have not been able to give you lasting relief. Dr. Ralph Venuto offers advanced treatments for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis occurring in the knee and shoulder joints. While there is no cure for arthritis, it does cause progressive degeneration and so early treatment is essential for minimizing discomfort and stiffness. Dr. Venuto has extensive experience with successful arthritis treatments.
Several types of arthritis may be present in the knee or shoulder. Osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis in the knee and shoulder, causes progressive wearing away of the cartilage, eventually leading to the bones of the joint rubbing directly against one another. This form of arthritis generally is due to aging. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory type of the condition that can occur at any age. Post-traumatic arthritis begins after a bone fracture, ligament injury, or meniscus tear and progresses much like osteoarthritis.
Treatments for Arthritis
Dr. Venuto follows several conventional steps to treating arthritis but then goes above and beyond to help his patients become an integral part of their own treatment success. He strongly believes in a combined approach, with patient and surgeon working together on a number of solutions to help relieve pain and discomfort.
Before recommending any treatment, Dr. Venuto reviews your prior medical history, performs a physical exam, examines X-rays, and discusses your current concerns. Most patients go on to have an MRI for a better view of the interior of knee or shoulder. The MRI helps Dr. Venuto determine if the pain is being caused by arthritis alone or if mechanical factors such as loose cartilage or meniscal tears are making the pain worse.
In crafting a complete treatment for each of his arthritis patients, Dr. Venuto combines tested approaches with innovative techniques and technologies that help patients avoid surgery. A non-surgical treatment regimen is recommended for most people living with arthritis, and often includes the use of pain relievers, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) and cortisone injections. Dr. Venuto’s specialized regimen will also include a combination of the following:
- Strength training in the core and legs
- Weight reduction for patients who are overweight (BMI over 25) or obese (BMI over 30)
- Viscosupplementation to replace the lubricating joint fluid that does not get produced naturally in the arthritic joint
- Use of an unloader brace for people with knee arthritis to shift weight away from the side of the knee with greater wear
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections using a patient’s own blood to produce a concentrated amount of platelets or regenerative cells that is re-injected into the damaged area to accelerate healing
If there are mechanical factors contributing to the pain, such as bone rubbing against bone, patients may need arthroscopic surgery for long-term pain relief. Dr. Venuto will provide a complete assessment of your options during your consultation.
Get the help you need now.
Call Dr. Venuto at 949-759-3600 or SEND US AN EMAIL to schedule your appointment.
Call Dr. Venuto If…
At his orthopedic practice in Newport Beach serving Costa Mesa, Irvine, and all of Orange County, Dr. Venuto sees patients almost every day who are living with various forms of arthritis. Paying attention to early signs of arthritis can help to lead to earlier treatment, which itself may minimize the pain and disability associated with the condition. Call Dr. Venuto today at 949-759-3600 or send us an email to schedule your visit.
Some signs that you should make an appointment with Dr. Venuto include:
- Persistent joint pain not due to an injury
- Tenderness or redness around a joint
- Joint stiffness or swelling after periods of rest
- Grinding that is felt or heard within the joint
- “Locking” or “buckling” of the joint
- Nodules or lumps developing near the joint
- Fever, fatigue or malaise (general feeling of discomfort or illness)
- Any other unusual symptoms